Sunday, October 18, 2009

There's Gold in Them Thar Hills

This weekend was the annual Gold Rush festival in Dahlonega, GA. My freshman year I attended my first Gold Rush and I fell in love! It brings the best out of my beloved Dahlonega square. Anyone who knows about "the Square" knows that it is not very big. It is like walking down the streets of an old 1800's boom town. But when gold rush comes to town people from all over bring beautiful handmade pottery, furniture, and more. It also brings out the best of the Appalachian country folk. There is folk music, the best food, and of course seeing many college friends who come from all over just for Gold Rush. We had an Alpha Gamma Delta Alum lunch, which makes me feel so old! It made miss Jeff, he would have loved being there again. By the way it was the coldest, wettest, Gold Rush I've ever experienced. But that is the great thing about this festival, Dahlonega is still busting at the seams to get a taste of it. All in great spirits. I spent the day with our dear friends Brad and Sarah who were gracious enough to let me 3 wheel it with them. Things to get on our list: Kettle corn, turkey legs, roasted corn, caramel apples, fudge, lemonade, and fried Reese's Peanut Butter cups. Yes, a fried candy bar. I'll admit it was a first for the three of us, but we decided we simply had to try it. There are just no words to describe the ooey, gooey, mess the vendors handed us, topped with powder sugar of course. Just looking at it made our faces break out and our booties gained 10 pounds. Oh my goodness! It may be someone else's favorite food, but for us it was too much! At least I can say "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt." And I don't ever have to wonder what could have been. By the way the saying "There's Gold in Them Thar Hills" actually originated when gold was discovered in the Dahlonega hills. Just a little fact for you.
Jeffrey only has a few more days at BCT before he heads to Ft. Benning, GA. He was allowed to talk for 10 minutes so he was able to tell me about his FTX. He said it was fun despite the fact he has a few burns on his neck. He is okay. The biggest news is that there may be a chance that I will get to see him soon. If it is okay with his company commander at Benning, then anyone within driving distance of Benning can come pick up their soldier and take him to OCS. Wouldn't that be FANTASTIC!! I'm so not getting my hopes up, but I am keeping my figures crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment